VSL supplies ultimate measurement accuracy and traceability to national and international measurement standards and manages and develops the Dutch standards. Undisputed quality and knowledge development are essential conditions for this.
As a permanent component of its operations, VSL works on the continuous quality of its processes. Accreditations are maintained for this. In addition, VSL participates in international comparisons, known as the Key Comparisons.
VSL possesses the following accreditations:
- K999: Implementation of calibrations (ISO/IEC 17025:2017)
- P002: Production and certification of reference materials (ISO 17034:2016 )
- R006: Organisation and implementation of inter-laboratory investigations (ISO/IEC 17043:2010)
You can read more about our ISO 17025 accreditation scope at www.rva.nl.
VSL CMC claims (Key Comparisons)
VSL participates in international Key Comparisons that are organised among National Metrology Institutes (NMIs). Using a common measurement protocol and stable and equivalent measurement results, the artefacts (primary measurement standards) can be compared with each other. At the same time, knowledge interchange happens through a thorough and stimulating discussion about the measurement methods used and the measurement results obtained. This provides evidence of the present measurement capacities and ensures smaller measurement uncertainties in the future.
The calibration & measurement capabilities (CMCs) emerge from the results of the Key Comparisons.
Participation in Committees
VSL participates in various committees, including standardisation committees.
- ISO/TC 158 gas analysis
- ISO/TC 193 natural gas
- ISO/REMCO reference materials
- CEN/TC 264 air quality
- JCGM WG1 GUM working party (GUM = Guide to the expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, JGCM = Joint Committee on Guides in Metrology)
- Netherlands Commission on Radiation Dosimetry
- ISO TC299 Nanometrology, WG on metrology
- IOP Nanotechnology standards committee
- CIE Division 2, Physical measurement of light and radiation (CIE = International Commission on Illumination)
- Various Euramet technical committees
- Various BIPM working parties
VSL accommodates the four Technical Committees (TCs) that are active in the Netherlands. These are the TCs for Pressure, Temperature, Electricity and Geometrical measurements These committees serve as platforms for the interchange of professional knowledge and the discussion of metrological interests, for example to do with measurement methods, the organisation of interlaboratory comparisons and the desired uncertainty levels for measurement results. Members come from different calibration laboratories, VSL and the Dutch Accreditation Council (RvA).
Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA)
Via the Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA), signed by almost all countries in 1999, it was established that VSL’s measurement standards and the measurement results arising from them would be internationally accepted.